October is National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month
Participate in the CADCA 50 Challenge!
Did you know that one in 25 youth ages 12 through 17 has abused cough medicine to get high from its dextromethorphan ingredient, and one in 5 young adults has abused a prescription drug? Help raise awareness of the dangers of prescription (Rx) drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicine abuse during National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month in October, and take part in the CADCA 50 Challenge.
Through the CADCA 50 Challenge, we’re asking you to host a town hall meeting or another type of educational event about BOTH prescription drug abuse and OTC cough medicine abuse in your community during National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month in October. All those who register for the CADCA 50 Challenge are automatically entered in a random drawing to win a free iPad!
So, are you up for the challenge? If so, please complete the form below.
Here are a few requirements for your event:
- It must address BOTH prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter cough medicine abuse.
- It must be held during the month of October, National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month.
- During your event, you must distribute the Preventing Teen Cough Medicine Abuse brochure, available in English and Spanish at: http://otcsafety.org/en/publications/.
Helpful Materials You Can Download:
- A new Grassroots Media Kit to help you promote your event
- A checklist to help plan your town hall meeting
- A list of CADCA 50 Challenge Activity Ideas
- A video to show at your event, entitled “Stopping Cough Medicine Abuse in Your Community”
- Fact Sheets, Presentations and Brochures about medicine abuse
- Preventing Teen Cough Medicine Abuse: A Parent’s Guide
Register for the CADCA 50 Challenge!
Join community organizations and individuals around the country to host local community forums about medicine abuse. Help spur discussions in your community to find solutions to this complex problem! Join us by completing the form below.